Knowing the Causes Can Help You Prevent Pipes From Leaking
There are five main things that causes pipes to leak – corrosion, excessive water pressure, water erosion, temperature changes, and frozen pipes. That may not mean a whole lot to you now, but we hope to educate you on why knowing the causes of these leaks can actually help.
If you know the reasons behind them leaking, then there may be some things you can do to stop it. Don’t worry – we won’t bore you with all the science behind plumbing and water leaks, but we will give you the basics.
Common Causes of Leaking Pipes
- Corrosion: There are a number of things that can contribute to corroding pipes, so it’s best to stay ahead of the game. At Radiant, we perform whole-home plumbing inspections to make sure everything is in good, working order. Call us today to set that up!
- Excessive water pressure: Your home’s plumbing system is designed to hold certain water pressures, and if yours exceeds that amount, your plumbing can form weak spots resulting in a leak. To prevent this, it’s a good idea to have a pressure regulator installed.
- Water erosion: If water can be powerful enough to cut through rock – think Grand Canyon – then it can do the same thing to your pipes. This is a phenomenon that happens over time, so if you think your pipes are getting up there in age, it might be time to think about replacement.
- Changes in temperature: Steaming hot water going through your icy cold pipes will cause them to burst because water expands and contracts with rapid changes in temperature.
- Frozen pipes: This sort of ties in to temperature changes because in order to avoid your pipes becoming frozen, you need to winterize them. Even though Austin has it’s fair share of warmth in the winter months, you can never be too sure. If your pipes get too cold, they’ll burst and cause a huge water mess in your home. Don’t let it come to that. Call the experts at Radiant Plumbing to get your pipes ready for the winter.
Whatever the cause, Radiant is here to help. With our state-of-the-art leak detection equipment, we’ll find your leak and repair it with ease. Call us today!