5 Ways to Prevent Main Line Clogs From Reoccurring in Austin
Do you have a drain clog in your Main Line?
- Remove Trees: If your drain trouble stems from overgrown tree roots, it may be time to remove some of the trees near your home that are causing the drain clog. When Radiant plumbers arrive on a drain clog call, one of the first things they check is how close the clog is to trees or their extensive root system. Homes with yards filled with charming old pines and oaks are often the homes most susceptible to reoccurring main line clogs. Although we always regret being forced to remove a tree that has been there for years, it is often in the best interest of the homeowner. Most of our customers decide that they simply can’t afford to continually address their main line problems, only to have the issue reappear soon after.
- Limit what you put down your kitchen drain: Your garbage disposal may seem like it’s up to the task of grinding up just about anything, but that doesn’t mean you should actually be putting anything and everything down your sink. Putting highly fibrous food items like onions, potato peels and celery down the drain is always a bad idea. Same goes for grease. In fact, when it comes to kitchen drain clogs, grease is probably public enemy number one. Even seemingly harmless foods like grains of rice can swell with water and then clog your sink drain as they get stuck on your pipe interiors. Keeping a small trash can beneath your sink is probably the best fix here. Instead of over-relying on the garbage disposal, dump leftover food in the trash instead!
- No hair down the bathroom sink: Hair doesn’t disintegrate quickly and it can quickly make a terrible, tangled mess of your drain line. Don’t take hair off your brush and put it down your sink or toilet. Put it in the trash, along with dental floss any and other clog catcher. For even more protection, use a plastic hair catcher on your shower drain and install a drain trap in your bathroom sink. You’ll thank us later!
- Use enzymes regularly: Perhaps the most useful thing you can do to discourage a reoccurring main line clog is to routinely use natural enzyme treatments like Bio-Clean. By regularly introducing these powerful, but safe enzymes into your pipes, you allow them to eat away at all the accumulated waste that causes blockages. This stuff really works—a little will go a long way toward keeping your main line flowing freely at all times. Because these enzymes need time to work their magic on your pipes, you should begin the treatment at night and then refrain from using those sinks and showers until the following morning. For maximum effect, do all the drains in the house at once.
- Install a lint catcher: Equip your washing machine drain lines with one of these helpful devices. They will stop extra lint from entering your drain and becoming the source of a nasty clog in the future as it accumulates.
Can’t seem to banish that reoccurring main line clog? Call the drain cleaning experts at Radiant Plumbing to find out how we can help!