Prepare Your Plumbing for Spring with Drain Cleaning
Here in Austin, TX, spring is when we flush things out. By May, rain is falling in buckets and overflowing everywhere. Therefore, now is the best time to take preventative action for your drains. Many drain cleaning tasks are simple and help you prevent complicated issues in the future.
We put our plumbing through a lot. Between showers, washing clothes and dishes, using the toilet, and cleaning other parts of your home, no wonder your plumbing is susceptible to clogs and buildup! We’re here to help you keep your drains clean and efficient.
Signs You Need Drain Cleaning
Spring can wreak havoc on your plumbing. Luckily, Radiant Plumbing is ready to help! If you find yourself dealing with any of the following problems in your home, you should schedule drain cleaning before the problem can worsen.
- Slow draining sink
- No water pressure in the shower
- Toilets don’t flush properly
- Kitchen sink backed-up
- Tub doesn’t drain after showering
Don’t wait for emergencies. We can help maintain your drains!
Slow Draining Sink
This is a very common problem for kitchen and bathroom sinks that are used on a daily basis. Soap scum, hair, food particles, and other contaminants can build up deep within your drain or sewer lines. Eventually, this causes bottlenecking within the pipe, allowing only a small amount of water to trickle through at a time.
The slower the water drains, the bigger the mess to clean out. Luckily, Radiant offers water jetting as a fast, reliable solution.
No Water Pressure in the Shower
Your shower used to be your sanctuary. Now, it’s just a sad trickle of water. What happened?
The issue is likely with your showerhead. Repeated use and lack of proper cleaning can cause sediment buildup in the showerhead, slowing down the flow of water dramatically. If a thorough cleaning doesn’t do the trick, consider upgrading to a new showerhead.
Otherwise, you may be looking at something more serious, like damaged interior plumbing pipes or an outdated water heater. Whatever the case may be, Radiant is here to help! We offer plumbing repairs and water heater installation throughout Austin, TX, and beyond.
Toilets Don’t Flush Properly
Kitchen Sink is Backed Up
This, too, is quite a common occurrence as homeowners sometimes mistake kitchen sinks for garbage cans. Be very careful as to what you throw down the kitchen sink drain!
Grease, fats, and oil are the fastest way to ruin your plumbing system for good. These products stick to the pipe interior and harden to the point where even the best hydro jet isn’t powerful enough to do damage control. Additionally, you’ll want to avoid putting coffee grounds, eggshells, pasta, bones, nuts, and other expandable or fibrous foods down the drain, even if you have a garbage disposal.
Tub Doesn’t Drain After Shower
There’s nothing worse than standing in a filthy water puddle while you shower. Gross! Hair and soap scum buildup is the most common reason your tub doesn’t drain properly. Consider installing a hair catcher or special stopper to help keep your drain lines clear and efficient.
DIY Spring Cleaning Tips for Plumbing
Clogs happen in the wall pipes, too, and are much tougher to reach. Of course, objects in the sink or toilet are best handled by a plumber. If you have several slow drains or other signs of a bigger problem, or if it’s been a few years since your last sewer inspection, call us.
In the meantime, don’t be afraid to give your plumbing system some TLC when spring cleaning this year:
✓ Clean your gutters and downspouts of leaves and other debris.
✓ Clean mineral buildup found on your showerheads and faucets.
✓ Inspect pipes and faucets for leaks and other damage.
✓ Carefully snake any slow draining sinks to remove small blockages.
✓ Test the sump pump to make sure your home is prepared for spring showers.
✓ Clean your garbage disposal with cold water, ice chips, and some citrus peels.
✓ Flush out your water heater or schedule a professional inspection and maintenance service.
How Radiant Plumbing Can Help
- Camera Inspection: A trained professional will insert a camera into your plumbing system to help locate the clog with ease. The camera is attached to a long, thin, very flexible rod and inserted through an easy access point — most likely a toilet. The greatest benefit of a camera inspection is how quickly and efficiently it pinpoints the location of the clog. This helps our plumbers deal with the issue immediately to help avoid further damage to your plumbing system.
- Water Jetting: This is simply the best way to rid your plumbing system of unsightly clogs. Water jetting sends a high-pressure stream of water through the pipes to gently break down and flush away the offending blockage. Trained professionals will adjust the water pressure, so it is effective enough to get the job done without being too tough on surrounding pipes. This method is minimally invasive, so it’s gentle and safe enough for old piping systems.
- Repair: Sometimes, your plumbing system may require significant repairs or replacements to function properly. If this is the case in your home, we’ve got you covered! Our plumbers are professionals at repairing and replacing all different types of pipes, sewers, and drains. Your plumbing will be back up and running in no time with our help.
To get your plumbing ready for spring, call Radiant Plumbing for all your plumbing repairs, upgrades, and installations. Spring is a perfect time for a full AC and furnace replacement in Austin, TX when the weather starts warming up promptly, and so your family will hardly notice the downtime. Contact us now to plan upgrades and repairs and get 24/7 emergency plumbing service for your home!